Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Come join Buddy Up!

By Katie Budinger and Abby Chou

Buddy Up is a peer mentor program that takes place after school. Wood Hill students go to High Plain and offer homework help and play games with kids in grades 1-5.

“I first started a peer mentor program when I first started teaching. That was in Houston, Texas, in 1992. I also did one in Salem, Massachusetts. This is my third peer mentor program. The nice thing about it here is that we have kids of different ages,” says Mrs. Billings. “We started with 10 kids, then we had 25, last year we had 55 kids in the program.”

“I like interacting with younger kids, I don’t have any siblings.”  Says Katie Budinger, a 7th grader on West. She is in the program for the second year now. Boys are welcome too! Last year they had seven or eight boys from middle school who loved the program. At the end of each session, they have a big party and last year there were 80 people. There are no kindergarteners in the program.


No comments:

Post a Comment